Chocolate Brownie Sandwich
This chocolate brownie sandwich topped with popcorn makes a delicious plant based birthday cake. The brownie is dairy free, gluten free and refined sugar free, with an almond butter filling - which you could always change up for another filling - honey mixed with chocolate, peanut butter or white chocolate could work very well.
For my Dad's birthday I teamed his love of chocolate, with his other love - salted popcorn. I love the mixture of salty and sweet, there's something rather mouthwatering about it. The topping is a layer of melted dark chocolate mixed with a little agave syrup, popcorn sprinkled on top followed by an extra drizzle of agave syrup.
Very simple to make, whilst rather healthy - however don't let these sweet treats fool you, they're still packed with those naughty calories that climb into our wardrobes at night, sewing the seams of our clothing tighter and tighter. This is probably healthier than most run of the mill birthday cakes, and a lot better for you than shop bought cake. In fact, it's jam packed with goodness!
Free From Chocolate Brownie Sandwich Cake
A delicious free from cake made of brownie, a filling of almond butter and topped with salted popcorn. This is Gluten Free, Dairy Free & Refined Sugar Free.
Makes: 10-12 Serving
- 180g or 2 Cups of Oats (If you have a gluten intolerance be sure to check there's no traces of gluten in the oats)
- 80g or 1/2 Cup of Rice Flour
- 50g or 4 heaped tbsp of Pure Cacao Powder
- 2 tbsp of Coconut Oil (this was solid so you need to allow for a little more if in liquid form)
- 200ml or 3/4 cup of rice milk (you can use any kind of milk)
- 3 Medium Eggs or a 3 Flax Eggs
- Pinch of Salt
- 4 tbsp of Agave Syrup
- 4 Tbsp of Almond Butter
- 100g of Dark Chocolate (check that this is dairy free and refined sugar free if required) - melted
- Popcorn popped - I microwaved a bag, decorated the cake and ate the rest!
- Drizzle of Agave Syrup
- Pre-heat oven to 180'c.
- Pop all of the brownie ingredients into the food processor and mix thoroughly.
- Pour into a baking tray lined with grease-proof paper.
- Bake in the oven for 20-30 mins.
- Once baked through, remove and place on a cooling rack.
- Once the brownie is cool, cut in half.
- Spread the almond butter on the bottom layer and place the other layer on top.
- Melt the dark chocolate and mix with a tbsp of agave syrup or honey. Spread on the top layer.
- Pop the popcorn on top and drizzle with agave syrup.
- Store in the fridge, but remove around an hour before eating as the chocolate will go hard.