Lemon & Ginger Quinoa Breakfast
It's Tuesday again and this morning instead of taking myself off to Total Body class, I opted for a swim and gym with my favourite (and only) gym buddy. Splashing around and gossiping like two old ladies as we swam up and down the pool lane, swim boards on hand is one of the best ways to start the day. Feeling awake and refreshed we headed up to the gym to do a shoulders and back workout. I'm not sure how much it worked the muscles I was aiming for however it most certainly worked up an appetite! Here is a very scrumptious post gym breakfast bowl, it is light and refreshing with a touch of tangy sweetness.
Lemon & Ginger Quinoa Breakfast Bowl
In a saucepan cook a cup of quinoa in 2 cups of rice milk, and the juice of half a lemon, de-pip the lemon and cut in half and add this to the saucepan. Add a teaspoon or two of ground ginger. I LOVE ginger so tend to add quite a bit. The lemon and ginger are fantastic together, they are a natural antibiotic and will clear up any kind of sniffle you may have.
Leave to cook for about 15-20 mins until the quinoa is soft and fluffy. Remove the lemon and throw away. Pour into a bowl and add toppings. The toppings I chose today were are follows:
- Goji Berries: These little dudes are rich in antioxidants and nutrients, they are super tasty and very good for you.
- Bee's Pollen: An amazing energy boost that aids digestion and boosts the immune system.
- Almond Butter: I'm in love with the stuff, more than I love ginger? Possibly not but it really is every type of wonderful. It's fantastic for the heart as it has a generous amount of magnesium.
- Chia Seeds: I'm not about to bore you again with how much I think of chia seeds, they are just epic power houses. That. Is. All.
- Cranberries: A super food that we often look over, amazing for preventing infection as well as certain types of cancer. They decrease blood pressure and boost the immune system.
Once made, take the obligatory instagram/snapchat pic and enjoy!