How To Make Almond Milk - Plant Based Milk Recipe
When I switched from dairy to plant based milks due to health issues I began making plant based milks, oat milk is the easiest and most affordable but almond milk is just so delicious and wonderful. I went through a phase of about six months where I just bought the plant based milk from the supermarket. It was easier, and quite honestly way more convenient.
Guess what? It really didn't agree with my body, maybe it's the preservatives used or something added into the milk, but for whatever reason, my body prefers home made plant milks. They are actually really easy to make and last for 5-7 days in the fridge.
This is my recipe for Almond Milk:
- 1 Cup of almonds
- 3 Cups of water
- Blanche the almonds in boiling water in a saucepan if they still have the skin on. Pop them straight into cold water and the skin should slip off very easily. I find it quite a therapeutic process.
- Soak the almonds overnight in enough water to cover the almonds. We won't be using this water to make the milk, it is just to soften the almonds.
- Drain the almonds and pop them in a blender with three cups of water.
- Strain with a fine sieve or nut milk bag into a container.
- Store in an airtight bottle or jam jar in the fridge.
- You can add honey, stevia or syrups to sweeten - I don't as I like to sweeten as I enjoy it. If I pour it over granola I'll add a spoon of honey then too.
If you liked this recipe, you can pin it here: