These onions are stuffed with tuna and red pepper and a secret ingredient! Feel free to change up the tuna for something else if you don't fancy it, follow a vegan diet or would enjoy a meat option.
I think they'd work so well with finely chopped mushroom. This is a great little tapas dish, it feels really warming and would do wonders if you're feeling a little under the weather with a cold.
Spanish Stuffed Onions
Dairy Free, Gluten Free & Refined Sugar Free stuff onions with tuna.
Makes: 4 Onions
- 4 medium sized onions
- 2 small tins of tuna
- 1 tin of red bell peppers
- 1 hard boiled egg
- tomato pesto or sauce
- 1 glass of white wine
- Salt and pepper to season
- 1 clove of garlic
- olive oil
- In a bowl flake the tuna, add the finely chopped red pepper and chopped hard boiled egg with two large tablespoons of tomato pesto. Mix well.
- Pre-heat oven to 140’c
- Peel and hollow out the onions, cut a little top off each onion before you hollow it out- ideally you want them to be thin enough to hold their shape well with the mixture inside but not too thick.
- Fill each onion with the tuna mixture and place the onion lid on top.
- In a deep pan add a good amount of olive oil and heat on a medium temperature. Pop the onions into the pan and spoon over oil to brown them slightly.
- Once browned place the onions into a casserole dish.
- For the sauce, chop the onion you have left over from hollowing the three onions out. Pop into the olive oil in the saucepan you have just used, add a glass of white wine and bring to the boil.
- Stir in 5 or 6 tbsp of tomato pesto, season with salt and pepper. Pour the sauce over the onions in the casserole dish.
- Cook in the oven for 90 minutes.